What Causes Gallstones (Cholelithiasis)?
There is one gland that is very important to your health and well-being and that is your gallbladder. It is important to understand what gallbladder does and how it functions in order to understand why gallbladder disease is such a serious problem.
The gallbladder’s job is to store bile, a by-product of the liver. The bile secreted by the gallbladder is then carried by bile ducts to the small intestine where it is used for processing of fats and proteins. The bile that is produced in the gallbladder travels along the bile duct to the small intestine and then to the liver.
When bile ducts become blocked due to gallbladder disease or gallstones, this causes a shortage of bile in the body which in turn causes a person to have an irregular amount of cholesterol and fat in the body and to have an increased risk of developing gallstones.
Gallstones are solid deposits of
- Calcium in the gallbladder.
They form in the bile duct and then travel through the liver and into the gallbladder. There they begin to grow. Gallstones are very dangerous and they can cause the gallbladder to fail and rupture. If the gallbladder is unable to empty the gallbladder or if it becomes infected with gallstones, then it can actually cause an infection and could cause death.
Gallstones can form in many different places.
They can form in the
- Gallstones can also form in the bile duct.
It is not uncommon for some gallstones to form in the bile duct. In this case, the gallbladder is not able to empty or produce enough bile to produce the bile needed to break down the gallstones. Gallstones in the bile duct can actually block the bile duct and the bile will then be expelled and cause an infection of the gallbladder.
The two main types of gallstones are
- Cholesterol stones. These are usually yellow-green. They’re the most common, making up 80% of gallstones.
- Pigment stones. These are smaller and darker. They’re made of bilirubin
Gallstones Signs and Symptoms Include
- Pain in your upper belly, often on the right, just under your ribs
- Pain in your right shoulder or back
- An upset stomach
- Other digestive problems, including indigestion, heartburn, and gas
Gallbladder disease can also be caused by gallstones in the liver
This is very rare and there is no cure for this. There is, however, a treatment that can help the liver function better so it is able to produce and secrete more bile. Gallstones in the gallbladder can also cause the gallbladder to become enlarged and the gallbladder can become irritated.
This can also lead to a condition that can be called cholecystitis. This is an inflammation of the bile duct that is caused by the gallstones. This condition can lead to a blockage of the bile duct and can cause bleeding of the bile duct, which can also lead to gallstones becoming lodged in the liver.
Gallstones can also cause a person to become depressed and have an inability to eat properly
- The gallbladder becomes painful and can even cause nausea and vomiting. If a gallbladder tumour is present then the person may also suffer from problems swallowing.
- Gallstones can cause a person to become unable to pass their waste products
This is an obstruction of the ureters and it can cause the person to experience pain when having a bowel movement. The kidney also has to work harder to remove the waste from the liver. You can also read: A natural remedy for gallstone
Gallstones can also lead to other problems such as
- Gallstones in the liver
- Gallbladder disease
This is a much more serious problem and can lead to problems with the kidneys and gallbladder and the liver as well. It can cause a person to become dehydrated because the kidneys are not working as well and cannot remove as much of the waste from the body. This, in turn, can cause the kidneys to become enlarged and can even lead to kidney stones. Read also: Home remedies for Gallstones
Gallstones can also cause a person to have high cholesterol in the blood. Gallstones can also cause damage to the liver and the gallbladder leading to damage to the heart and lungs.
1,465 total views, 1 views today
- Ways Exercise Helps to Fight Against Ageing - September 2, 2021
- Cost-Effective Solution to Prescribing Lifestyle Medicine - August 27, 2021
- The Most Beautiful Flowers on the Planet!!! - August 18, 2021