How Long It Takes To Recover After Plastic Surgery
For years now, plastic surgery has been changing people’s life drastically and has improved their life to a great extent. Plastic surgery not only aims to improve aesthetics but also corrects several defects or deformities of the body. People planning to undergo plastic surgery or cosmetic surgery are always consumed by the doubt of how long does it take to recover afterwards?
The answer to the question is not as simple and straightforward. The recovery period differs based on a number of factors such as the type of plastic surgery and the patient’s overall health. This article sheds light on the average recovery time for most common types of cosmetic procedures along with their post-operative or aftercare. Based on the information one can plan to have plastic surgery in Turkey.
Although, the recovery for every patient and the surgical procedure is different, there are some general time guidelines for all procedures.
How long recovery processes take for facial procedures?
Popular facial surgeries such as rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, and facelifts are known to take about six to 12 months.
Blepharoplasty and Eyelid Surgery
The eyelid surgery aims to restore the youthful appearance of the eyelid by removing excess skin and fat deposits. A surgeon performs eyelid surgery in the upper and lower eyelids. Post-operative care includes painkillers and other medication, continuous monitoring for inflammation or bleeding, and pain management.
- Recovery: The eyelids might feel sore and itchy for two weeks. Bruising and swelling subside within 7 to 10 days following the surgery.
- Final results: The patient can see the result to the fullest within 3 to 6 months post-op.
Rhinoplasty or Nose Job
Whether functional or cosmetic, a nose job involves reshaping the nose which takes significant healing afterwards. It can be done to enhance facial harmony or correct an impaired nose to allow proper breathing. Some people may experience breathing and eating difficulties during postoperative care. It will also include the application of medication, pain management, and monitoring for complications.
- Recovery: Generally, the swelling and bruising subside within 10-14 days after surgery. Residual swelling might persist for a year.
- Return to Work: 1-week post-op
- Final results: The patient can observe the final results by one year.
Rhytidectomy or Facelift
Rhytidectomy is a facial surgery that includes the removal of excess fat, tightening of the facial muscles, and skin stretching to provide a firmer look to the face. It helps in the reduction of facial sagging and restores a youthful appearance. Aftercare comprises the application of face creams, and icing, along with medications, continual assessment, and pain management.
- Recovery: It takes about 10 to 14 days for bruises and swelling to subside, while residual swelling and bruising remain for a year.
- Return to Work: 7 to 10 days post-op
- Final Results: 3 to 6 months post-op
Although there are many non-surgical treatments for promoting hair growth, surgical treatments provide a more permanent solution for patients who seek to have natural results. Hair transplant surgery is of two types: follicular unit extraction (FUE) and follicular unit transplant (FUT). FUE involves the use of individual hair follicles from a donor site while the latter makes use of a strip of hair. As FUE is a less invasive technique, the recovery is expected to be faster.
- Swelling and tenderness subside within 5 to 7 days post-op
- The transplanted hair starts to shed 2 to 3 weeks after the surgery
- The final result can be observed within 12 to 18 months after the surgery.
The breast enhancement procedure can be done through surgeries such as breast augmentation, reconstruction, reduction, and lifts. The recovery of all the procedures takes somewhere around 4 weeks to a year.
The surgery aims to provide an increase in the size, shape, and fullness of the breasts. The implants used in breast augmentation can be silicone gel-filled, saline, or alternative composite. Aftercare involves wearing a compression garment or sports bra, avoiding strenuous activities and exercises and pain management.
- Recovery: The pain usually subsides within the first week of the surgery.
- Return to work: The patient can return to work 3 to 7 weeks post-op
- Final result: The final result is visible within 3 to 6 months post-op.
Mastopexy or Breast List
The surgery enhances the shape of sagging breasts and results in a firm structure. The surgeon alters the size contour and the elevation of the breasts. Aftercare involves the application of dressing and wearing compression and garment support. Post-op care includes comfort measures, assessment, and pain management.
- Recovery: The worst pain subsides in the first week of the surgery. Bruising and swelling is experienced mostly within 72 hours and subsides over 6 to 8 weeks.
- Return to work: The patient can return to work within 1 to 3 days after the surgery
- Final results: This is visible within 1 year after the surgery.
How long do body contouring procedures take to recover?
The surgery involves restructuring the woman’s body shape after pregnancy. The most common areas of focus are breasts, abdomen, genitalia, buttocks, and waist. The aftercare involves the application of gauze or bandages, wearing compression garments to control swelling and blood clots.
- Recovery: The severe swelling will subside within the first week of the surgery. Complications may occur during 3 to 4 days following the surgery and careful monitoring is required. Complete healing takes around several weeks to a few months.
Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck
The surgical procedure aims to reduce the abdominal area by removing excess fat. Aftercare involves the use of drains and pain management.
- Recovery: Severe pain subsides within the first few days after the surgery. Residual scars take some time to disappear.
- Return to Work: 2 to 4 weeks after the surgery
- Final Results: Observed within 4 to 6 months after the surgery.
The recovery differs widely based on the type of surgery and the patient. Proper care by the healthcare team as well as the patient makes recovery fast and smooth.
525 total views, 5 views today
- Ways Exercise Helps to Fight Against Ageing - September 2, 2021
- Instant Home Remedies for Headache and Migraine - August 30, 2021
- Warm Water Therapy Benefits for Chronic Illness Treatment - August 29, 2021